Bridge-Free Salish Sea

Letter to Todd Stone re: feasibility study due date (Sept. 3, 2015)

Dear Mr. Stone:

We were provided a copy of a memorandum from Aleksandra Brzozowski, Acting Regional Planning Manager, Islands Trust Northern Office to the Gabriola Island Local Trust Committee on July 13, 2015, in which the Committee was notified that “due to staffing changes in the consulting firm contracted to produce the study, the Fixed Link Feasibility Study is still being drafted and will not be published this summer as initially expected. MOTI staff confirmed that the LTC will be notified promptly upon the report’s completion.”

We were pleased that your Ministry notified the Local Trust Committee.  We would also have been pleased if our Bridge-Free Salish Sea group had similarly been notified – particularly as we are the group behind the 2,100 plus person petition presented to the Legislative Assembly by MLA Doug Routley and MLA Claire Trevena on April 13, 2015.

We are writing you as the Minister to ask when the results of this feasibility study are projected to be released. We are concerned that a $200,000 feasibility study that was to be delivered to your Ministry in late February 2015; that was to be released to the public in August 2015; and that is now postponed once again “due to staffing changes” potentially brings into question the significance of the results of the study.

Mr. Stone, we remain firm in ensuring that the results of this feasibility study will be viewed in light of the reason for launching the study in the first place; the cost of the study; the delay in your Ministry receiving the results; and the consequent delay in the results of the study being made public. Our group represents more than 2,100 British Columbians and more than 1,600 Gabriola and Mudge Islanders. We are committed to supporting the position of the Islands Trust regarding no fixed links to any of the Gulf Islands, and are strongly opposed to even the idea of a study to consider the feasibility of a fixed link to Mudge and Gabriola Islands. As such, we would appreciate the courtesy of being advised regarding the status of the study.

Once again, should you wish to contact or meet with us at any time, please feel free to contact the undersigned.


Stephen O’Neill

On behalf of Bridge Free Salish Sea


Comments are closed.